Hi Folks,

I just finished some initial experiments in loading the Robin Peel airway
database for flightgear. The code is based on the ground network code that I
wrote for AI taxiway following. While I have stuff working right now, one
major problem is becoming apparent: It takes approximately 6 to 7 minutes to
load and initialize the entire airway database on my machine (yikes).

The major reason for this is that each route segment in Robin Peel's database
is defined by the full coordinates of each start and end waypoint. The airway
and ground networks operate by storing the waypoints and the routes
separately. Therefore, for each Airway segment, I need to look up whether the
defining waypoints have already been loaded, which is quite computationally
intensive.  My ground network code, on the other hand, reads data in which
the waypoints and the route segments are stored separately to begin with,
which makes it much faster to load.

Right now, I can see a number of ways to proceed with this. My major objective
is to use the airway database to create more realistic AI traffic behavior,
but for just that purpose, I don't actually need to load the airway database
into flightgear. I could also choose to pregenerate all the AI flightplans
offline and let FlightGear read those on demand.

I'm wondering though if there would be any future need for airway information
inside FlightGear itself, for example in modeling GPS receivers or flight
management computers. If so, it would still be worthwhile to convert the data
into a native format that could much more rapidly be loaded into flightgear.

Cheers,
Durk