For the last few years, Google has been running a program called the
Summer of Code.  Many/most of you are probably familiar with it.  For
those who aren't, it attempts to pair up students with open source
projects to mentor that student as they make contributions to the
project over the summer.  The students receive a stipend for the
time spent working on the open source project.

An FAQ about the program can be found at:

http://code.google.com/soc/2008/faqs.html

Early on in that FAQ, you can follow links to past years' lists of open
source projects that have mentored a student/students, and received
contributions as a result.

Given that we have plenty of hard problems to work on, in areas that
students might find interesting and applicable to future work, I would
guess that FG could really benefit from involvement in GSOC.

Thoughts?  The period for mentoring organizations to apply is March 3
through March 12.

-c

                (remove "snip-me." to email)