Hi All,

Enthused by a comment on the forum by snork
(http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1333), I've been working on
an extension to the generic blackout/redout script which attempts to simulate
the feeling of compression due to g-forces, by moving the pilot viewpoint
vertically depending on the apparent g-force.

This is a simplified version of what vivian, Josh et al. created for the
Buccaneer and other aircraft.

Of course, the main advantage of this is that it is completely generic, and
pretty lightweight too. The overhead ontop of the redout/blackout is minimal:
one extra property read/write per frame, only when the feature is enabled and
in cockpit view.

A patch for this is available from
http://www.nanjika.co.uk/flightgear/headshake.patch

Comments are very welcome, but I'm particularly interested in peoples views on
the following:

1) Obviously this duplicates some aircraft-specific code, and one can argue
that this sort of feature is only important for high-energy jets, where it
should be modelled in more detail than I have done. I've been playing with this
code on the Stampe, A4-F and Pitts, and have felt that it has improved the
feeling of realism, but then I wrote it ;) Do people feel it is worth providing
a generic implementation, given that for most GA flying is at 2g or less, and
this will move the pilot viewpoint 5cm!

2) Currently the redout and headshake enabling properties are userarchive,
which (as I understand it) means that the user's preference will over-write any
aircraft setting. Given that both these generic features duplicate existing
aircraft-specific code, I think I should remove this flag, so aircraft
designers can over-ride it. Any comments?

3) At the moment, this feature is limited to the y-offset of the pilot
viewpoint. For non-military aircraft,  the most significant g-forces will be
felt in the y-axis (in the pilots frame of reference), as they cannot yaw fast
enough to cause any in the x-axis, and they don't have enough power to cause
any in the z-axis. If it is worth providing a generic feature, is it worth
making it multi-dimensional?

-Stuart