On Tuesday 14 Jul 2009, Eli Jordan wrote:
> Hi
> I am new to flight gear, but am using it in a multiple flight
> vehicle simulation system for my thesis, this system will be used
> to research aerial search patterns. To do this I need to be able
> to control flight gear from the search algorithm, running on a
> separate machine. I was wondering what would be the best approach
> to achieve this? I have had a look on the web site/wiki and found
> out about the telnet interface to the property tree (also, is
> there info on the syntax of each variable in the property tree?)
> and thought that the route manager accessed through telnet would
> be able to solve my problems, but as far as I could see the route
> manager only allows for pre set waypoints, such as airports, i
> was hoping to be able to input co-ordinates (latitude and
> longitude) and have the auto pilot fly between these. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated!! ThanksEli

I believe the GPS sub-system may be able to help you, but failing
that writing your own FCS using Nasal isn't too difficult (although
the development and testing may be time consuming).

The Nasal Geo sub-system includes a number of very useful functions
that can be used to direct a custom FCS and autopilot combination
to fly between a series of lat and lon coordinates and even perform
automated take-offs and landings.  As I have said above though,
tuning the custom configuration to work well with the particular
FDM you use can be very time consuming.

One thing to be aware of when using the Nasal Geo functions is that
some of them need the relevant scenery tile to be loaded into the
scenery cache before it can be interrogated, so while flying
between coordinates at an absolute altitude is not a problem,
setting up a relative altitude (agl) flightpath or getting runway
locations and orientation cannot be done until the relevant scenery
tile is loaded into the scenery cache.

Another thing to bear in mind is that no consideration is given to
backwards compatibility in FG development, so for the period of
your thesis I would avoid tracking the cvs version of FG and either
use one of the stable versions or stick with a single cvs snapshot;
you're quite likely to find your work broken by subsequent
development code changes if you try to keep up to date with cvs.

LeeE