> Aircraft (and partially Nasal) are things dependent on the core - so
> naturally they can only be designed with respect to a given core state -
> and that means that conceptually the core has to be fix before the
> dependent stuff is fixed.

FWIW, I added a section "lessons learned" to the
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Release_plan

I think the feature freeze for aircraft is something that should be
improved. There seems to be no technical or logical reason why aircraft
should not be modified up to short before the actual release. However,
this is only true for aircraft not being part of the base distribution
and when no commonly used files are changed (those outside
FGDATA/Aircraft, FGDATA/Aircraft/Instruments-3d,
FGDATA/Aircraft/Instruments etc).

Torsten