Hey Thorsten et al,

Yeah, I guess it's time for some further impressions of FSWeekend from my
perspective. This year was our 7th consecutive presentation, and the first time
we had a presentation that was considerably scaled down compared to our
previous tradition of growing in size every year. Though I think it's okay to
throttle back a little, every once in a while, it did mean that our prominence
was a little less present this year. This is something we probably need to
consider for next year. Let me come back to that at the end of this post; first
some impressions.

My pictures are are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/durktalsma/sets/72157631936384731/

As the Pictures show, Martin, Mathias, James, and myself started out on Friday
with a 4-hour session at the full-motion simulator at simcenter
(http://simcenter.nl/) lelystad Airport. Gijs also made some with my camera,
but I haven't had the chance to process those yet.

Yes, there are some rumors. Firstly, yes we did hijack the main projection
screen in the uiverzaal, and yes a broomstick was involved. Secondly, there are
some rumors that people may have seen a person walking around with a Curt Olson
name-tag. Rumors also have it that the person carrying it spoke with a rapid
Scottish accent.

So, what's up with the projector/broomstick rumor? Well, despite my good
intentions, I wasn't as well prepared as I had thought. I did bring my
computer, a projector, and a screen. But, as we were setting up, I had realized
that I had forgotten to bring the pole that is holding the screen up, making
the entire exercise rather useless. In order to find a replacement, I tried
borrowing a broomstick from the museum. Although that would have worked, we
couldn't borrow it for the entire weekend. While we were contemplating our next
move, Frans offered us to use the big screen. I hope that none of the other
clubs took offense, because the screen was rather big.

Secondly, by the time I had to register for the booth, Curt and I were
discussing ways that would enable it for him to visit. With the deadline in
sight, I did decide to go ahead and register Curt. But in the end, the travel
plans didn't work out and in the mean time I had gotten an email from James
Turner showing his interest in participating, but that was already after the
registration deadline. So with one spare badge and one person without a badge,
we decided that James should pretend he'd be Curt during the course of the
show. I think that it worked out pretty well :-)

So, compared to the previous years, a number of things were a little different.
A few of our regular members couldn't make it this year, including Torsten,
Jorg and Lindsey, Hans (but thanks for briefly stopping by Hans!), and even
Gijs had to bail out on sunday. Their absence  was offset by the presence of
James Turner, Christian Schmitt, and Alexis Bory. It was a joy having you guys
around! I hope you can make it to FSWeekend again sometime.

Although in general I'm looking back at a fun weekend, I also have to admit
that I've had some reservations about the event -and our presentation- that I
feel I need to share as well. As mentioned above, this was the 7th time we were
there and in those 7 years the format of FSWeekend hasn't really changed much.
Most of the presenters are regulars and they seem to be doing exactly the same
thing as in previous years. With FlightGear, I usually felt that we managed to
escape that, by presenting something drastically new every year. But this year
the new essence seemed to be missing somewhat. I didn't really feel that we had
any major innovations to show (with the notable exception of project rembrandt,
which ran well on Alexis' machine). With our multiscreen setups, we were
somewhat limited in terms of graphics capabilities, and I also didn't feel that
there were a lot of exciting new aircraft to demonstrate. Now, I want to
emphasize that this was largely due to our personal situations, and nobody is
to blame (if anybody, perhaps myself, because I was really late an a little
lazy in organizing this year). So, despite our good intentions, not everything
came about as intended, and I would like to consider possible ways of smoothing
that out in a better way.

But, to end on a positive note: We also met a lot of fabulous new people again.
In addition to James's, Christian's, and Alexis's presence, I met Rob de Vries,
who run the newssite www.simflight.nl, Gijs was interviewed for PCPilot, and we
established contact with the folks at Saitek, which may hopefully result in
full FlightGear support for their "Pro" line of products. We're still working
out the details, but they gave me a copy of their radio stack for play with,
and if we get that to work, more stuff may follow.

So, to conclude, it was a fun weekend, but for next year I would like to come
up with a slightly more organized plan of approach.

Cheers,
Durk