Hi Stuart,
On 06 Nov 2012, at 14:00, Stuart Buchanan wrote:

> Hi Durk and the FSWeekend crew!
>
> Firstly, thanks very much to everyone for flying the FG flag at
> FSWeekend.  I can appreciate it's a huge amount of work each year.
> Great also to see a Scottish contingent.  I'm still hoping to make it
> some time, and have been laying the groundwork early for next year...

Thanks. Please consider coming over next year. It's always great to meet the
people behind the project. I'm trying to give a few quick answers below.

> Re: Saitek - who was it you spoke to?  I've been in contact with
> Martin Crompton, who kindly provided me with their Cessna line of
> controllers to write configuration files for FG with.

Yes, I also talked to Martin Crompton. James told me later on that you had been
in touch with him. My action was rather spontaneous, so I asked him whether we
could try to support Saitek products, without me knowing that you were also
working on it. I hope we can join forces. I got their radiostack to try, and
this looks like it's going to be a little more involved, since it may need its
own USB driver. I'll try to send Martin just a quick note later tonight.

> I noticed in Thorsten B's flickr stream a comment about support for
> multiple graphics cards, which FS-X doesn't have.  One of the things
> I've been struggling with when marketing FG in FSBreak etc. is really
> understanding what features we have that FS-X lacks so I can draw a
> good comparison.  I come across some while reading flight sim
> websites, but I'm sure there are other limitations that only someone
> with experience of both would be able to highlight.  Does anyone on
> the list have significant FS-X experience and could give me a list?

This is always a tricky one. At FSWeekend I found our visitor's reception of
the project really quite different, ranging from "Increadibly cool that you do
all of this by yourself" to "Give me one good reason why I should change from
FSX". The former is always a nice way of starting a conversation (and usually
runs into a situation where our visitors hang around our booth for an hour or
so), while the latter feels oftentimes like a waste of effort.  This is
probably also because the people asking the latter type of question don't
strike me as the persons who really have a fine-tuned for the subtleties of
aviation that makes FlightGear such a cool program. So, the bottom-line is that
I would also be very interested in a short concise list of features that we do
better than FSX.

> Finally, on your multi-display/multi-graphics card setup, are you able
> to run with 3D clouds and do they look acceptable?  I've been assuming
> that provided you are only running a single FG instance, the 3D clouds
> should Just Work with multiple displays. Is that the case?

I do need to investigate a little more, because my machine was overall running
quite slow. The other folks suggested that this might either be related to
power-supply issues, or insufficient cooling. But, enabling or disabling the
clouds didn't seem to make that much of a difference.

Cheers,
Durk