On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Durk Talsma wrote:
> Yes, I also talked to Martin Crompton. James told me later on that you had
> been in touch with him. My action was rather spontaneous, so I asked him
> whether we could try to support Saitek products, without me knowing that you
> were also working on it. I hope we can join forces. I got their radiostack to
> try, and this looks like it's going to be a little more involved, since it
> may need its own USB driver. I'll try to send Martin just a quick note later
> tonight.

If you do email him, feel free to CC me and mention we're on the same project.

I've not done any more than write XML config for their Cessna yoke,
pedals, trim wheel and throttle quadrant, so we're definitely not
duplicating work.

It would be great if we can support this sort of hardware
out-of-the-box, and a good thing for Saitek too I think.

RE: Curt's comment about selling hardware.  Turning it 180 degrees, I
had wondered whether Saitek might want to bundle FG with their
controllers as a matter of course.  The cost to them would simply be
DVD.

> This is always a tricky one. At FSWeekend I found our visitor's reception of
> the project really quite different, ranging from "Increadibly cool that you
> do all of this by yourself" to "Give me one good reason why I should change
> from FSX". The former is always a nice way of starting a conversation (and
> usually runs into a situation where our visitors hang around our booth for an
> hour or so), while the latter feels oftentimes like a waste of effort.  This
> is probably also because the people asking the latter type of question don't
> strike me as the persons who really have a fine-tuned for the subtleties of
> aviation that makes FlightGear such a cool program. So, the bottom-line is
> that I would also be very interested in a short concise list of features that
> we do better than FSX.

Yes, I've encountered exactly the same reaction when demoing FG
elsewhere.  Fundamentally, this is a question we should have a very
compelling answer for, but which it's difficult to pin down.

The FS-X community is going to have to move to other platforms in the
next couple of years.  The obvious candidates are Prepare3D (which has
a rather odd license) or X-Plane.  IMO we should be the third choice
here.

Let me see if I can get some answers out of the forums.  I think there
are lots of people there who have used other sims.

>> Finally, on your multi-display/multi-graphics card setup, are you able
>> to run with 3D clouds and do they look acceptable?  I've been assuming
>> that provided you are only running a single FG instance, the 3D clouds
>> should Just Work with multiple displays. Is that the case?
>>

> I do need to investigate a little more, because my machine was overall
> running quite slow. The other folks suggested that this might either be
> related to power-supply issues, or insufficient cooling. But, enabling or
> disabling the clouds didn't seem to make that much of a difference.

So you at least had the 3D clouds running across multiple monitors
without major graphical artifacts?  That's good to know.

-Stuart