Hi Vivian,

I'm not going to address the high level debate, but I have some
specific comments.

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Vivian Meazza wrote:
> I think a more general concern would be that we seem to be developing 3 or 4
> different Flightgears, in which different things work or not as the case
> might be:
>
>         Rembrandt
>
>         Basic weather/Advanced Weather
>
>         Atmospheric  Light Scattering (ALS)

I've just put in some effort recently to ensure that Basic Weather can
take advantage of ALS properly.  So while we retain two weather models,
there's no longer a dependency of ALS on Advanced Weather.  So we're
moving in the right direction here.

I've also taken a bit of a look at merging Rembrandt and ALS, and I think
I understand the Rembrandt pipeline enough that I could add ALS to it.

I'm very keen to promote a more consistent experience so that new users
don't encounter confusing differences between alternative rendering schemes,
and I'm prepared to put time into making that happen.

I'll take a look at the wake shader if you want, but I supect you'd prefer me to
fix some of the other issues you raised below first :).

> Right now FG seems like a mess with lots of things which "used to work
> (tm)":
>
>         Screenshot directory entry in the gui  doesn't work
>
>         Ditto Terrasync directory
>
>         Tree textures are misaligned (here anyway)
>
>         Manual Weather Input.
>
>         Effects as above.
>
> I know that this isn't all  to do with you -

Well, two of these at least are within my bailiwick (tree textures and manual
weather input).  Manual weather input is on my TODO list, and I'll address the
tree texture issue in the other thread.

I've not had any time to look at the screenshot/terrasync directory issue.  I
strongly suspect that I could fix it, but I only have so many hours in the day,
and as mentioned before am spread pretty thin.

Personally I think most of the active FG devs are currently very overstretched
in terms of the areas that they have ownership of, which is affecting how much
can actually be done.  Fundamentally we need more core devs.

-Stuart