There really is no special reason that one should "feel that they
need/want/deserve/feel in-titled to the fluxus label on their work or
selves". But there is also no special reason that should prevent one using
the label either. Like all labels, the Fluxus label can potentially supply
information and disinformation simultaneously.

Labels are like avatars or shortcuts. If someone says that they produce
Fluxus work, or Fluxist work, or Fluxus inspired work you have a good
starting point for understanding their work. If a person describes herself
as a Fluxus artist one will (assuming one knows what Fluxus is/was) have a
good idea about the kind of art that person produces - on the other hand the
label in this case might also lead to confusion as the "Fluxus Artist" may
or may not have been associated with Historical Fluxus.

For example, Yoko Ono is a Fluxus artist who no longer (to my knowledge)
creates Fluxus art, whereas Allen Bukoff may also be a Fluxus artist, but he
became associated with Fluxus post-Maciunas. Then there is the large group
of us who create Fluxus-inspired art which can be described as being Fluxus,
Fluxus-like, Fluxus or womething else. I don't think that it is inaccurate
for any of these artists/writers/performers to describe themselves as Fluxus
artists.

I think that the description of Fluxus as "an attitude" remains most useful.
It allows for the historical entity of Fluxus that existed until 1978 -
while also allowing for the living Fluxus being created from the late 1950s
until (and beyond) the present day. Fluxus is (and was) always in flux,
changing and evolving, and like Intermedia, it exists in more than one
dimension simultaneously. There is the historical dimension, the attitudinal
dimension, and a taxonomic (what kind of object) dimension to Fluxus - what
Fluxus "is" depends on the dimension being described.

Allan