Check out the way Nautiraid does it here.

http://www.brunel.ac.uk/~acsrrrm/kayak/nautiraid/photos.html

They use brass channel. The wood is simple butted together, no halved ends.
Somehow they got a pin in each piece, through the channel, so each wood
section fold in together. What you end up with is a tall skinny "T".

I'm sure I've seen hinges used as well.

No wonder, your arms were stiff.

Paul