A nice Goethe quote: "We should all share in the excitement of discovery
without
vain attempts to claim priority".

So we can be happy that Chuck Moore did a few things when he did, without
worrying about when the ideas first appeared. Computing -- like natural science
-- has always been ripe for multiple discoveries of the same ideas -- and more
so than natural science because our "field that never quite became a field"
doesn't really care about its own history. (This often leads to "reinventions
of
the wheel that are actually flat tires", but this is a side point.)

On the other hand, I personally cherish the real inventions and inventors in
our
field -- for example John McCarthy, Ivan Sutherland, etc., who also built on
the
past but in startling and even almost magical ways to produce qualitatively
different and more powerful POVs which are so needed in our design-centric
field.

Cheers,

Alan