There error received when trying to run Ethereal from fink in Tiger OS X ver 10.4.1 is the following:

No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
library is not correctly configured. You may need to
edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
page and on http://fontconfig.org

All other application that I use work correctly. I am not certain why Ethereal is having issues. I am not certain if it is your fontconfig, Fink, or Apple's Tiger OS. Since everything else works fine I would say it is your fontsconfig.

In any case any help would greatly be appreciated.

Regards,
Freemon