First, thanks to the fop developers for a fine program--it has enabled
successful pdf generation of the GnuCash guide which apparently hasn't
been possible for some time with other docbook tool chains.

I am using the trunk version of fop and have a couple of comments:

When I execute 'fop' without arguments, I see the usage message but I
also see lots of gunk accompanying an exception.  Couldn't that part
be left out?   Most likely the user has intentionally omitted
arguments so he can to see the usage message (if any--I think it is
bad practice to design a CLI program without such a message).

Likewise, the -v and -d options throw exceptions and too much
extraneous info.  Eventually I would like to use 'fop -v' in a
configure test for gnucash, so the cleaner the output the better.

I will be happy to file a bug report if that is appropriate or am I
doing something wrong?

I will also be happy to try to fix the problem, but I am a C++/C/perl
programmer and have no java experience.

But I do have some bash scripting experience and see that fop is a
bash wrapper to Fop, so maybe I can help there.

Thanks.

-Tom