Not your mistake, Joerg. It was a bug. I've fixed it shortly after you
raised it here: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=496860
I wonder why we haven't seen this bug earlier since we actually have
K3.ttf in our distribution under the examples.

If you can use FOP Trunk (from SVN), you can get the K3.ttf font to work.
The alternative with FOP 0.93 is to use Barcode4J for Code39 barcodes.