*** From [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jadwiga i Stanislaw Checinscy)

January 21, 2003
For Immediate Release

Commissioners Urge Kwasniewski on Prompt
Passage of Polish Property Compensation Law
"Every single day matters."

(Washington) - Four Members of the United States Helsinki Commission have
urged Poland's President Aleksander Kwasniewski to ensure prompt passage of
a non-
discriminatory property restitution law.

In a meeting last year with congressional leaders,
Kwasniewski assured Commission Co-Chairman Rep. Christopher H. Smith (R-NJ)
that
a draft law on confiscated property would be ready at the beginning of 2003
and that it
would not discriminate on the basis of citizenship.

"Having a fair and just property restitution law passed expeditiously would
be enthusiastically welcomed," the Commissioners wrote in a January 13
letter to
Kwasniewski. "We are concerned, however, by reports suggesting that
consideration of the draft may be delayed until after a referendum on
European Union accession is held
sometime later this summer."

Signing the letter with Co-Chairman Smith were Commission Ranking Member
Rep.
Steny H. Hoyer (D-MD), Commissioners Rep. Benjamin L. Cardin (D-MD) and
Senator
Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY).

"Bearing in mind that more than a decade has already passed since the
restoration of democracy in Poland, that numerous laws on confiscated
private property have been
drafted but never adopted, and that Holocaust survivors are passing away
each year, we urge you to ensure that passage of this law does not face any
further delays," the letter
reads. "Every single day matters."

"We also hope that, as your government proceeds with the drafting process,
officials will consult actively and widely with those most affected by
property confiscations," the
Commissioners continue. "We believe that a successful outcome of this
process requires strong public outreach and that, conversely, a process of
limited consultations is likely to
foster the frustration and anger of those who have already waited decades
for some measure of justice."

A central element of Nazi and communist persecution in Central and Eastern
Europe was the uncompensated confiscation of real and personal property from
individuals and religious communities. The United States advocates the
return or compensation of such properties.

The United States Helsinki Commission, an independent federal agency, by law
monitors and encourages progress in implementing provisions of the Helsinki
Accords.
The Commission, created in 1976, is composed of nine Senators, nine
Representatives and one official each from the Departments of State, Defense
and Commerce.

Lista 'Forum Zagraniczne'          Administrator: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Archiwum: http://www.mail-archive.com/forum.zagraniczne@3w3.net

Odpowiedź listem elektroniczym