On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 04:36:46AM +0000, John McHugh wrote:
> Was thinking of experimenting with ideas for gnome web infrastructure on my
> own digital ocean instance and was looking up availability of gnome.io
> domain with the intention of using it to test said ideas before
> transferring it over to the gnome foundation.
>
> Its due to be auctioned by park.io this month. Long story short, I was
> talking to someone from park.io and they said that they have a history of
> donating domains to angularjs and perl foundation (angular.io and perl.io).
>
> He said he would be happy to donate to open source foundations if they want
> it (in relation to the gnome.io domain).
>
> The contact from park.io was Mike Carson. Don't want to paste his email on
> a public mailing list but if any foundation members would like to follow up
> on it I can send it privately.

If they're willing to donate the domain, rather than auctioning it off,
that would be quite helpful.  I don't think it'd be at all appropriate
for anyone *other* then the GNOME Foundation to hold such a domain.  The
GNOME Foundation could either make it a redirect or use it for other
purposes (such as the same purpose as debian.net or github.io, namely a
home for developer subdomains for projects).

I think it'd be entirely appropriate for the GNOME Foundation to receive
this.  Someone from the Board (BCCed) would be the most appropriate
person to either broker that or designate someone to do so.

- Josh Triplett