(snip)
> At any rate, it seems the workflow you describe is quite suited to
> Gnome.
> You could dedicate an entire desktop to a video editing task, and
> when you
> alt-tab within that desktop, you'd only be shown the windows
> dedicated to
> that task. If you want to switch to another task, you'd switch to
> another
> desktop (and if you're an emacs user like me, maybe bind super-n to
> "move
> to the desktop below").

Hi,
that would be great if that could work this way. But the problem is
that, if you dedicate a workspace to each task, when you click on an
application that you don't have opened on the current desktop but have
opened on a different workspace (for a different task), gnome-shell
moves you away from your current workspace instead of opening a new
window of that application. And that breaks this paradigm. Too bad,
really!