Am 23.07.2017 um 18:09 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:
This exists:

function ResolveHTMLEntityReference(const Name: WideString; var Entity: WideChar): Boolean;

is in unit htmldefs, fcl-xml package.

Thank you. Seeking more carefully would have saved me a lot of tedious typing... Replaced my own routine by this one, and it is working fine. BTW: Wouldn't it be useful to overload it with a utf8 version?

2nd remark: The sax unit in the same folder is also WideString-only. From the Lazarus point of view, UTF8 would be preferrable as well. I remember older experiments trying to read Excel files with sax which suffered from a significant slowdown because of widestring-to-utf8 conversions.