On 15 March 2015 at 13:21, Florian Klämpfl <flor...@freepascal.org> wrote:

> Am 15.03.2015 um 13:06 schrieb Paul Breneman:
> >>
> >> Good to know that upper case NOBODY includes me :)
> >
> > Here is a simple introduction to git (as well as Linux, Python, Vim):
>
> I know git and I can use it but I cannot get used to it. Besides a lot of
> other things which annoy
> me, it still misses good gui tools for me, especially on non-windows.
> TortoiseGit on Windows is ok,
> but something like CommitMonitor which I use for fast code reviewing is
> afaik not avaiblable for
> git. And yes, I am a gui guy and I refuse to type lengthy command line
> message which I've always to
> look up in some self made cheat sheet or in the man pages.
>
> >   http://levinux.com
>
> Bad for them that I am not enabling JavaScript (or whatever) for some
> random site :)

I think the main FPC developers need to realize that sooner or later they
are allow going to retire from FPC development and move onto other things,
or just retire form working life,  or finally to the great happy retirement
home in the sky, and a new generation will have to take over FPC
development. They have to plan and workout a succession, and that
succession will have to involve a new generation of programmers who learned
different ways of working,  and that more or less involves Git and a whole
lot of other tools.

Somehow all this indifference to Git bothers me because it seems they are
ignoring the greater realities of life. If a new generation are going to
get involved with FPC and Lazarus development, and the main developers are
really concerned with all the time and effort they put into this great
product not going to waste when they retire then they ought to reconsider
the indifference or aversion to Git. This is what the aversion or
indifference to Git signifies me. It doesn't mean that I don't think they
don't have any plans for how the project will be continued in the long term
future, but there seems to an indifference in the appeal the working
culture has for newer generation. They need foster a passion and a
commitment (fanboy fanaticism may be the right word) to Lazarus and FPC in
a new generation.

If you think I am such a Git fanboy I am not. For personal projects I am
beginning to find Git rather cumbersone as it doesn't have project
management, ticketing, patch reviewal and a host of other stuff built in. I
am beginning to consider Fossil, yes, the same Fossil that is being mocked
in this thread as an alternative because it comes with batteries included.

Now Florian, considering your preference for GUI tools, won't the
development of cross platform Git GUI surpassing Tortoise Git, Github and
Atlassian's tools, SmartGit and whatever be the best advert for Lazarus and
FPC? There would such a major flow of patches coming in that you would have
to stop coding actively and review the patches going in like Linus does.
You could have your cake and eat it too. :). I think such a tool with
documentation on how it was built would be the best advert for Lazarus and
FreePascal. Graeme?

--
Frank Church