On Mon, March 23, 2015 02:06, John H. Lindsay wrote:

Hi John,

> I'm looking for any help getting Free Pascal into usable shape on OS/2
> and eCS; I'm running eCS v. 2.2 B2.  The basic problems are that I can't
> get a big enough command-line window to show the  fp  character-mode
> IDE window to do any work, and that once in any command-line window,
> the  fp  display doesn't respond to any key strokes or mouse clicks, and
> almost immediately, the mouse pointer turns into a drag-and-drop symbol
> without any apparent way to turn it off (cancel drag).  Details below.
> I'd
> appreciate any thoughts or information about how OS/2 and eCS people
> are using Free Pascal successfully.

I use FPC with eCS 1.0 without any problems. I'm pretty sure that it
should work with eCS 2.2 B2 as well. I assume that you talk about the last
released version of FPC, i.e. 2.6.4, right? See also my comments below.

> Any hope for Lazarus/2 ?

Probably not any time soon, unless someone starts working on it. There are
people asking about this from time to time, but nobody started working on
it really as far as I know. As you might know, the original codebase which
was used for creating Lazarus (looong time ago) _did_ come from OS/2 (and
the sources of that old version might be still available), but none of the
current Lazarus developers uses OS/2 and I (aka the person providing
support for the compiler and RTL for OS/2 currently) have no capacity for
such an endeavour. However, if someone starts working on it, I'm certainly
ready to help with potentially necessary advices, etc.

> Any recommendations about how to get on one of the Free Pascal fora ?
> When I log in and try, I have an e-mail window, and it asks for an e-mail
> address to send it to, but what does one enter to have the e-mail sent to
> one of the fora ?

Do you mean the fora available on http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org? I
don't think that you can post messages there from an e-mail if this is
what you mean - one needs to post messages from the WWW interfaces (once
registered and logged on there).

> [Details of my efforts]:  A standard size OS/2 command-line window does
> respond to the fp command, but the display (25 lines ?) leaves only a few
> lines for any work.

You should change the window size before starting FP using one of the
various utilities available e.g. on Hobbes (or indeed using standard
command mode as suggested in your text below).

>  The display doesn't respond to keystrokes or mouse clicks.

I have never seen such a behaviour. Do you mean that after starting FP,
you can't e.g. exit using Alt-X?

>  The window size is fixed, and although pointing at the boundaries
> shows the double arrow, one still can't resize the window.  Of course,
> there's the mode command, where one can resize the command-line
> window to any of a selection of fixed sizes, but if one issues  fp  to
> get the
> Free Pascal character-mode IDE, the window then pops back to the
> smaller standard size.
 .
 .

The window is the standard OS/2 text-mode (VIO) window, i.e. you can't
resize it using mouse indeed. However, FP should not shrink the window
back on start-up. I'll check it again once at my OS/2 machine. One idea
coming to my mind is that if you stored FP desktop settings with the
resolution 80x25, FP might try to restore that resolution on startup.
Could you try removing the file fp.dsk (if it exists) and try it again ?

Hope this helps, let me know your results (and preferably remind the
readers of not being subscribed to this mailing list, so that everybody
replying includes you in Cc:).

Tomas