Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
Hi,

For developers that always want more desktop space...

If you have old laptops laying around, Xdmx is a fantastic way to
re-purpose those old laptops and let them act as an extended desktop for
your main system. It supports up to 16 computers.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-mltihed/index.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOzRCBGDVaE&app=desktop

I managed to get this working between two FreeBSD systems in 10 minutes
- and that included the time to install FreeBSD 10.2 on my old laptop.
:)  For FreeBSD users, install the x11-servers/xorg-dmx ports package.

I've looked at it in the past and found it woefully unreliable, but there's a chance that it's improved since it's been adopted as an official part of X11. I ended up using x2x which at least allows me to use a single keyboard and mouse over four screens (2x on each of 2x computers).

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk