Luca Olivetti wrote:
El 20/06/16 a les 11:44, Mark Morgan Lloyd ha escrit:

A private online service I use has somebody who still bears the scars of
Olivetti attempting to write an operating system in (strict, unexpanded)
Pascal.

Oh, the memories (and, no, I'm not related). My first job was in one of Olivetti's factories where they used such a system for production control (they ate their own dog food). I was programming the PLC (well, part of it) and it had to keep in memory two hours worth of planning since that was the time the computer needed to reboot when it crashed ;-)

I doubt it was plain pascal though: according to this page

http://www.storiaolivetti.it/percorso.asp?idPercorso=564

it was concurrent pascal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concurrent_Pascal

(even if I'm not sure the wikipedia page refers to the same thing).

I think he said it was mid-70s, but I got the impression that it was very much ISO-standard Pascal and it didn't have facilities such as assembler interfacing. On the other hand I think Concurrent Pascal was one of Brinch Hansen's earlier attempts, and like Pascal itself it might have taken a couple of iterations to get right.

The bottom line was that it was an unmitigated disaster :-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk