Lukasz Sokol wrote:

And Thunderbird can search the nntp archive on the server too;
something that is quite much more efficient than searching in mailing list
archives.

Also it enabled you to be able to read the mailing list, without going through
subscription process too;
(I've no problem to subscribe if I want to post somewhere but for just reading,
gmane nntp was infinitely more convenient
than e.g. the mailman web interface before HyperKitty :J )

I wish you also could have seen the thread.gmane.org web interface, and the way
it searched....
however they've offlined it already.

Gmane will be sorely missed if the nntp gateway ever happens to go away...

I'm sure that if one dug there would be plenty of prewritten mail distribution programs, probably in Perl on unix (and if somebody doesn't like that, he might as well stop reading here).

The key to managing anything like this is usually to use a different email ID for each mailing list, e.g. something like fred.fpc-ot...@telegraphy.co.uk for this one. Then either make sure you deal with an ISP who is prepared to accept either all mail for your domain or a significant number of predefined names (i.e. rather than just a single one) or set up your own email server (Sendmail+Cyrus or whatever). Then use Thunderbird etc. rules to distribute traffic to folders by recipient.

Otherwise it's not particularly difficult to pipe messages from Sendmail into a discussion group server, although I'd suggest that anybody who chooses INN for this use v1 rather than anything later. It's also not too difficult to redirect anything sent locally to an external mailing list, but there is a number of "gotchas" that one has to be aware of lest one sets up a loop.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk