On 2016-10-30 18:57, Tomas Hajny wrote:

> Responding to fpc-other, because it's off-topic.

I can't see why... but okay.

> I don't miss any messages, i.e. it isn't a general problem (which
> obviously doesn't imply that there is no problem).

Over the years I have seen so many issues with the mailing lists.
Missing messages, messages being delivered out of sequence, some domains
not accept etc etc.

> Do you get spam from FPC lists very often? I believe that the existing
> controls block most if not all of it quite efficiently.

On occasion I do get spam via the mailing list, but I must admit the FPC
mailing list admin has done a good job in that regard. The situation is
much better than other mailing lists.

> On the other hand, NNTP is not guaranteed to be free of spam,

Yes, the Usenet Newsgroups are often pestered with spam. But if you
looked at any private NNTP servers, 99.99% of the time there is zero
spam messages. Plus the newsgroup admin can simply delete such a post,
and nobody else would see it - that can't be done with mailing lists.

> nor ensuring smooth
> communication for everybody either (as an example, it may not be
> accessible from corporate environments).

Over the years I have heard many say that, but I am yet to see such a
case. That obviously doesn't mean it doesn't happen, it is just very
unlikely. And even if it does, that is exactly why I host a Web
Interface to my news server - for those very rare edge cases.

I can also argue that many corporate environments would frown upon using
a company email account to register to a non-company related mailing
list. In the past I have also had some issues with company email
accounts and mailing lists - very dependent on how the company emails
are set up and how messages are being distributed.

NNTP has many other benefits too:
  * A clear separation of email and group discussions. Keep your
    work and hobby communications separate.
  * A choice of newsgroup clients. Most newsgroup clients have much
    better group communication features that email clients.
  * Space saving. With newsgroup client you have the choice to
    store fully messages locally (handy for offline reading), or
    simply store headers only, and the body gets retrieved on
    demand.
  * More control over your own messages. eg: You can delete your
    own posts. Very handy if you got carried away in a heated
    discussion (such a frequent occurrence in the FPC mailing lists),
    and would actually prefer to rather remove such a post 5 or
    10 minutes later when you cooled down a bit.
  * No idiotic "spam filtering" applied by your email provider.
    eg: Google and many others outright band ZIP attachments, even
    though they my be perfectly legit. ZIP attachments are not the
    only attachments they ban.
  * You can easily keep your identify (eg: email address) hidden,
    yet still post messages. Some people like their privacy and
    don't have access to multiple email accounts.
  * You can join a newsgroup at any time, yet easily tell your
    news client to download the whole history of the group, or
    just the last 1000 or 500 or whatever you want, messages.
    No need to go to a separate 3rd party website to search through
    historic conversations. It's all in one location.
  * Many news clients support the "portable apps" concept, where
    everything can be run from a USB stick, and all settings and
    messages are stored on the USB stick. Perfect for those
    corporate environments (and keeping your work computer only
    work related). Also, with such a portable install, all
    message filters, message actions, last read statuses etc
    are all remembered and travels with you.
  * No more receiving somebody else's "out of office" responses
    while they are on holiday.

Hey, we even have an excellent news client written in Object Pascal -
just take a look an XanaNews! btw: XanaNews supports all the above
benefits and much much more.

 Github repository
   https://github.com/graemeg/xananews/

 XanaNews releases