Hi,

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017, Giuliano Colla wrote:

> While installing FPC on a new platform, and looking for the appropriate seed
> compiler, a question came to my mind.
>
> As compiling FPC from sources requires a previous FPC version, how was
> compiled the very first version of FPC?
>
> I have a found a number of possible answers, but which one is the good one?
>
> 1) FPC has always existed, it was just created at the Big Bang, at the same
> time as the hydrogen atoms.

Yes, and it then since became a supermassive black hole, sucking all code
out of the poor maintainers! :P

> 4) The first FPC was written in Pascal and compiled using Turbo Pascal or
> something similar.
>
> I'm fond of answer 1) :-) but I'm unsure...

The point 4. is correct. The first version was done in Turbo Pascal, then
eventually the compiler became able to compile itself. Until 1.0(?) I
think it was still possible to build the compiler with TP7. Later the TP7
compatibility was dropped, and since then FPC is only developed in itself.

It's written on Wikipedia BTW:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Pascal#Early_years

:)

Charlie