I don't know anything about your intended use/design, but network storage is always an option. I quite successfully connect to other computers on my pi to store extra materials if I need additional backups, including copies of the sd card image for booting the pi, and although the access isn't exactly lightning fast, it's plenty fast enough for most purposes. Assuming the pis aren't going to be out in the field or something, there's nothing preventing you from using a file system mounted on the pi that physically exists on another system elsewhere on the network, but if it comes to that, there's plenty of thumb drives, external hds, and various other devices that plug in via usb that will work just as well. I had multiple external hds plugged into my pi via the usb ports, and there was no issues whatsoever with them. I had an 80GB IDE drive in an external case plugged in via usb, and I had another drive that was a 500GB SATA drive in an external case also connected to the pi via usb, and transferring files from pi to drive or indeed from disk a to disk b worked perfectly well. It took time due to the limitations of usb transfer rates, but it worked with no trouble. mounting network shares works too. I used to transfer files to my wife's windows machine this way.