On 2017-05-11 05:38, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
Hi,

It's been a few months now since I got my Ergodox keyboard. Since then I
was gifted a Massdrop kit, and built my second Ergodox myself. An
amazing experience and very fun.

For anybody thinking of using a Ergodox keyboard for programming, I
can highly recommend it. It took me a couple of weeks to settle on a
keyboard layout that works well for me - especially considering how
often we Object Pascal developers use F-keys, keyboard navigation of
source code and such.

Here is my layout I've been using for a couple of months now.

https://github.com/graemeg/qmk_firmware/tree/gg_dvorak/keyboards/ergodox/keymaps/gg_dvorak

A few days ago I stumbled across the following YouTube video. That guy
talks about using the Ergodox for programming purposes, and also mouse
functionality via the keyboard (something I haven't mastered yet). He
also uses layers of course (so do I), and shows very well how fast one
can code even with layers - some non-Ergodox people think you can't be
fast with layers. I disagree, and this guy proves it well.

I also like his idea of a Shortcuts layer, using the "Hyper" or "Meh"
key plus one other key.

  Hyper = Alt + Ctrl + Shift + Cmd/Win
  Meh = Alt + Ctrl + Shift

all that via a single keypress.

  * A Hyper key, as described by Brett Terpstra.
    http://brettterpstra.com/2012/12/08/a-useful-caps-lock-key/
  * A Meh key, which is a less-hyper version of the Hyper key (sends
    Alt+Ctrl+Shift, without Cmd/Win).

Here is the video. They keyboard layout is discussed at 3m 40s into the video.

   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78RtO38wOwI&feature=youtu.be

Here is his actual layout.

  http://configure.ergodox-ez.com/keyboard_layouts/qgmgej/edit

There is another guy that also has some very cool ideas. I really
like the Shift, Ctrl and Alt keys on the home row. I quickly tried
it last night, and it works surprising well and very comfortable to
type.

Looks interesting, but I'm a laptop man, so I can sit multiple places in houses/decks/rooms to not get bored with the same chair/room/atmosphere... Using a keyboard (not the native laptop one) means more junk/cables to carry with the laptop, every time I "hop" a room, or head to a different chair

But.. ignoring that.. and supposing an interested buyer was questioning it for purchase:

Does it solve the Shift Key strains issue?

My biggest gripes in programming, or hates, is having to constantly feel like I'm going to end up hospitalized due to finger strains... Mostly because of:
 - BiCapitalization/CamelCase... pinky finger shift key strain
 - same goes with underscores in_plain_c
 - and : colon for assignment... too much shift key
 - and in { curly brace languages, once again more shift key annoyances