On 2017-05-23 15:23, Marco van de Voort wrote:
some info is at
http://llvm.org/docs/Proposals/GitHubMove.html#on-managing-revision-numbers-with-git

merging, external repos were some of the other issues.

Good Lord, who wrote that, and when? Clearly someone with a serious lack of Git knowlegde - just the thing I described 2 replies ago.

"
However, we propose to mandate making merge commits illegal in our
canonical Git repository.
"

WTF? Branching and Merging are two key feature of Git. So if the don't want merging (or only allow fast-forward merges), I guess they want to Rebase everything everybody contributes - yeah the lovely linear history of SubVersion.... because they don't know better.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/