Hi,

On Tue, 23 May 2017, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> Trust is that people are not deliberately doing things. For accidental
> things there are tools (except GIT, apparently)

Err...? :) The only way to can fuck up a remote Git repository is by force
pushing, if you have write access already. But you can disable force
pushing even for people with write access. (Which is advisable.)

> I was not asking for ideally. I was asking very specifically how a GIT in a
> FPC team group would work.

See my other mail.

> > At work, I don't even push against master, but I do a pull request
> > against my own repository, and ask one of my senior colleagues to
> > review... I don't know about you, but to me this sounds a lot more
> > like teamwork, than going around beating up people "for wrongdoing"
> > with a cluestick.
>
> Then you don't understand what I mean. In the job you go see the person,
> work something out, and problem sorted in a few minutes. The odd
> impossible person is usually swiftly dealt with.

Honestly, I can't even... You sound like the Expert Beginner Twitter
account. No personal offense intended, but you just do.

> In distributed, volunteer driven, projects, people are away/nonresponsive for
> extended periods of time, working hours (and days) don't match. Also working
> this out via mail is much less productive.

So it's much more productive to just give everyone commit access to the
main repo, and let it being polluted with random branches? Or anyone who
wants to contribute but not with FPC for years, should keep working on his
working copy (with no ways to commit) and then submit a .diff via Mantis?

(Well, people are smarter than that, fortunately, so they just use
git-svn. Whatever.)

> Sorry to say, but I didn't find anything new or usable in this post. It is
> the standard "think different" nonsense from a very idealist viewpoint,
> little practical details.

Err, see my other mail about a practical example.

> So I now give up this thread (and GIT).

You should try to use it. For once. With an open mind. I know it's hard.

Charlie