On 2017-05-23 04:23, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
On 2017-05-22 23:11, nore...@z505.com wrote:
What happens if you use the SVN bridge that allows you to run svn
commands to a git server?

Maybe your wording is confusing, or SVN has abilities I didn't know
of.

it may just be a github thing, I'm not sure. Not git, possibly, but github has an SVN bridge that allows you to treat a github repo just like an SVN repo, and run svn commands. I use total commander for most of my SVN work with tortoise svn, which sounds like I am some kind of newbie/beginner since I don't use command line much, but it serves my need very well visually committing which files I need, which IMO is faster and more productive than running 5 different commands on files I have to manually type in or keep pressing the up arrow to repeat old commands (seems like 1970's way of doing things on unix, which I avoid) But I guess that is another issue.

The point is that github does in fact allow you to treat a github repo like an SVN one, so I wondered if Florian had tried this - but I guess you might as well use SVN if you are going to make github "like svn" instead of actually being svn. Key advantage: use github awesome web interface gui, plus have svn like revision...

IMO the big success of git is not git, but the github website which is visually stunning, beautiful, and productive - along with being a great social tool (although, I'm not so social). Only gripe I have about github is the fact that you cannot search forks! Searching forks on their website is essential for finding other people's code, and you cannot do that. you can't search any forks??? wtf..