On 2017-05-24 16:18, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
I can type "begin" and "end" much faster than the cryptic { and } (on my
german keyboard).
I use all 10 fingers for typing and each special character is an
interruption in my coding flow..

I use a custom Dvorak keyboard layout. I used to use Programmer Dvorak, where the symbols are where the number row normally is - but don't require a SHIFT. So { would be a single keypress.

  http://www.kaufmann.no/roland/dvorak/

These days I use a custom Dvorak on a Ergodox keyboard. All my most used symbols are on the 2nd layer. I use my left thumb to temporarily switch layers, and then the rest of my left hand fingers to type the symbol. No typing slowdown at all.

https://github.com/graemeg/qmk_firmware/tree/gg_dvorak/keyboards/ergodox/keymaps/gg_dvorak

But I get what you are saying. Most people can’t type symbols or numbers as fast as the normal alphabet.

I always indent the begin (and end) of a block together with the block:

if true then
    begin
    DoSomething;
    end;

This way the indentation always looks similar
independent from whether you have begin/end or not:

I’ve been working with Michael van Canneyt for the last two years, and he indents like that too. It drove me nuts in the beginning, but kinda got used to it - though I never indent like that. Your last sentence at least explains why one would want to do that.

You cannot solve all these cases just by TABs.

These days I don’t care about code formatting at all - while I code. I just type. Then on occasion I press Alt+S which triggers Jedi Code Formatter which formats my current unit as it should be. I have different formatting styles for different clients. It’s a huge time saver! If only Lazarus IDE had a faster way of switch between formatting styles (would be nice if it was integrated with Project Groups). At the moment I have bash scripts that flip between them.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/