On 24/05/17 02:46, nore...@z505.com wrote:
> On 2017-05-23 17:41, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> On 2017-05-23 21:16, Florian Klämpfl wrote:
>>> ... and the code is lost :)
>>
>> Not at all, I have about 20+ local branches in my fpGUI
>> repository. Some branches date back to 2009, 2010. Ideas I had, but
>> lost motivation, or they were simply an experiment (that could be
>> useful at some point). Just 2 days ago I revived a 5 year old
>> branch and finally completed the work.
>
> But what happens with corrupted or failed hard drive on your personal
> computer? Do you have any backups or is this local git work only on
> one personal hard drive that could fail at any time?
>

> Sorry, I've just had too many hard drives fail on me... so many fail
> that it's almost as if someone was doing it on purpose to me.
>
> Do you make some backups on a usb stick or some server elsewhere no
> one can see?

Nothing stops you from using a remote git server on some private remote hosting
server,
that gets backed up regularly.

Or having a dedicated git server in your LAN, that you regularly backup.

Or indeed, make regular backups of your working directory, on one or more
external media;
it's as easy as COPY THE ENTIRE DIRECTORY.

-L.