On 2017-05-25 16:04, mar...@stack.nl wrote:
   But Florian's statements just bugged me, and I see no proof to
   convince me otherwise - a compiler is just a complex project.
   Nothing "special" as he claimed it to be.

I do think Nikolay's point of it being more interconnected describes it
fairly well. There are no narrow interfaces that are natural seams for
modularization inside the compiler.

I've always wanted to modularize the fpc compiler in such a way that you could use the fpc compiler for not just compilation, but checking/parsing the code for other reasons, i.e. fpdoc.
But this would likely make the compiler slower.

And another modular compiler idea is that you could embed a relational database language inside fpc as a plugin, such as SQL or TutorialD, but these are just pipe dreams - and a plugin/modular compiler likely will be slower to compile code since there are now more things the compiler has to choose to do, more wrappers. But, I don't know for certain.

There was also that strange, but rejected, object oriented plugin compiler that someone was working on at one time.. Was it Dodi? I forget his name. Maybe the delphi decompiler guy?