On 2017-05-26 10:27, Ralf Quint wrote:
On 5/26/2017 4:36 AM, wkitt...@windstream.net wrote:

hahaha... nope... just experienced readers of messages who have
learned how to work through them fairly quickly and easily... i will
grant that it does take an hour or two... if i'm offering someone some
help and have to go write code, i do that over several days... even if
it means skipping some reading a day or two...
And on top of that, experienced enough to use a proper email client,
with proper message filtering, instead of (ab)using a web browser just
just another task... ;-)

Ralf

Indeed I hate web based programs of all kinds, but, after lots of my email clients corrupted their databases which were not in plain text and I lost my emails, I started using web servers and web programs as email clients for lots of email. Thunderbird was an option, as AFAIR you could store email as plain text, which is easier to recover if there is a failure, but thunderbird, was bloated and took up way too much memory. Sylpheed claws was another one I was interested in, as it had one of the most advanced "Rule" system to automate tasks. More advanced than any I could find.. it has changed names to claws-mail

However, IMO it has nothing to do with filtering out email because you still have to read the email lists and read through emails no matter how much you filter things. It's not like you can magically guess that "all emails regarding anything to do with VARARGS I want to delete" because 2 months later you may need varargs help. Or, it's not like you can magically guess that you don't want any emails coming in that have anything to do with fixed arrays, because you don't use fixed arrays - but maybe you will in 2 months!

Setting up thousands of filters is a time waster too...

But, this does bring me back to the sylpheed claws exploration days when I was really into automating email rules using advanced filtering/rulesets. I don't use them much any more but I used to use them like crazy