On 5/26/2017 6:25 PM, nore...@z505.com wrote:

> Indeed I hate web based programs of all kinds, but, after lots of my
> email clients corrupted their databases which were not in plain text
> and I lost my emails, I started using web servers and web programs as
> email clients for lots of email.  Thunderbird was an option, as AFAIR
> you could store email as plain text, which is easier to recover if
> there is a failure, but thunderbird, was bloated and took up way too
> much memory.
I am using Thunderbird, on Windows 7/8.1/10, macOS and Linux  Mint Mate
for several years now, ever since I had due to a move switch away from
my old desktop running Eudora as the email client and use a laptop
instead. And it has the benefit now that it runs on all three main OS
that I use every day.
And that is using 6 different email addresses (right now, one
specifically for ), all using IMAP for ages now. And compared to the
amount of memory you are using in a web browser to get even close to the
comforts you get with a real email client, it is rather "lean and mean"...

> However, IMO it has nothing to do with filtering out email because you
> still have to read the email lists and read through emails no matter
> how much you filter things. It's not like you can magically guess that
> "all emails regarding anything to do with VARARGS I want to delete"
> because 2 months later you may need varargs help. Or, it's not like
> you can magically guess that you don't want any emails coming in that
> have anything to do with fixed arrays, because you don't use fixed
> arrays - but maybe you will in 2 months!

Then you do not understand how you can apply filtering. You can mark
threads you are not interested in as "read on arrival", or depending on
the subject, move them in logical subfolders where you can read them as
needed. Likewise, you can mark "hot topics" with a tag, having them show
up not only a new/unread, but with certain colors. You can filter not
only on subject but also on sender (for better or worse ;-) ), text
occurring in the body, etc...
This way, you can have the computer do the most tedious part, separating
"signal from noise", which largely helps to reduce the number of emails
you actually "have to read". For me, that is on average maybe 10-20% of
the daily emails.
And why do you want to delete any emails, unless they are complete and
utter nonsense/spam (which barely happens in any of the FPC mailing
lists at least)?.  I have all emails from the FPC lists going back to
early 2013, when I got by previous laptop and switched some accounts
from POP3 to IMAP, and it would just take a restore from some old backup
to get any previous emails back, probably at least to 2002 or so.
And if you are looking for a certain topic/keyword from past posts, you
can do a search just fine, which you might have to do anyway if you are
looking for something in a past thread, as I seriously doubt that you
remember exactly where and when someone posted that info you might be
looking for a few months later...

> Setting up thousands of filters is a time waster too...
Pick you poison... But, as far as setting up filters goes, most of it is
a one time thing. It might be a bit more if you just get started, but it
will reduce and become second nature over time if you keep using it,
saving you a lot of time in the long run. And TBird does filters much
better than any other email client out there right now, I barely miss
Eudora these days anymore...

Ralf

---