I have followed parts of the very long thread "GIT & SVN" and found it
informative and partly amusing too...
Since I am still on CVS it really was getting me to think about new
version control systems and especially GIT since Graeme is pushing so
hard for it.

Background:
-----------
I have a small company where the engineering team is myself (not so
much anymore) and two engineers doing software and electronics. We are
making embedded systems and PC (Windows) based processing software.

Back in 2002 in order to safeguard against various catastrophies I put
in place a CVS *server* on our network for managing the versions of
our code and also our CAD drawings and documentation etc. So a lot of
the files in CVS are binary. The instructions and firmware image files
for our production people are also on our CVS.
The CVS backend is an old CVSNT release on a Windows Server 2003 and
we use the same cvsnt as client but via the WinCVS GUI front-end.

Problems to solve:
------------------
- We need to get a system that is supported today and preferably on a
platform that will not be obsoleted like the Windows versions are.

- Since we are also now doing development in Linux (for Raspberry Pi
using FPC) we need something running on Linux (for the clients).

- Generally I don't want us to be ancient tool-wise, but at the same
time we have such a huge amount of information invested into the CVS
repository. So I need the end soultion to hve some functionality like
the CVS system we use today. And a possibility to import the CVS
stuff.

Testing
--------
So I thought that one way to go forward was for me to use an RPi3 box
as a repository server with GIT or whatever (seems like the CVS
successor SVN is now also on the decline...).
Is there a good way to set up an RPi3 box as a GIT server and get
going with that?

Can GIT work in a way that would be comparable to CVS regarding
concurrent development etc?

Any suggestions on where to start?

--
Bo Berglund