On Mon, 29 May 2017 12:01:32 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markmll.fpc-ot...@telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

>On 29/05/17 11:12, Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> Testing--------So I thought that one way to go forward was for me to use an
>> RPi3 boxas a repository server with GIT or whatever (seems like the
>> CVSsuccessor SVN is now also on the decline...).Is there a good way to set
>> up an RPi3 box as a GIT server and getgoing with that?
>> Can GIT work in a way that would be comparable to CVS regardingconcurrent
>> development etc?
>> Any suggestions on where to start?
>
>Frankly, and after having run an RPi3 as my desktop system for roughly
>nine months, I'd not use an RPi for that. I'd use something like an HP
>Microserver with at least mirrored discs, and I'd make sure that I was
>able to write a consistent snapshot onto something like a USB stick
>storage device.
>
>My recollection is that while you can set up (software-controlled)
>mirrored devices on an RPi, you run into problems mounting them at boot
>time due to deficiencies in the loader- that was certainly the case when
>I looked at it in the latter part of last year, although low-level
>firmware improvements (roughly last November) might have fixed some of that.
>
>In addition, it's becoming increasingly obvious to many people that the
>power arrangement is manky, and that you risk permanent damage to an
>SDCard if inserting a USB device briefly pushes the voltage out of spec-
>see discussion of the vcgencmd command.
>
>Finally, you /will/ need to backup, and if you've accumulated any amount
>of data you really don't want to try doing that through a single
>(internal) USB hub with no possibility of expansion.

OK, I did not have in mind to use an RPi3 as the final system. I just
wanted to acquaint myself with GIT using a small portable unit over
the summer.
If it did work and I found it useful I would put a Linux server on our
VMWare box and use that as the new versioning server. But over the
summer I am moving to a place where space is limited and I thought a
small box like a Pi3 could work as a test bed.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden