On Thu, July 20, 2017 12:00, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

Hi Graeme,

> Not strictly FPC related, but I know here are some OS/2 software
> developers around - and I have no idea where else to ask.
>
> I'm working on supporting OS/2 in fpGUI Toolkit and creating OS/2
> themes.  Looking at some of the OS/2 screenshots I have collected, I
> noticed that in the same dialog you sometimes have blue text and
> sometimes black text. Anybody know why, and what is the difference
> between the two (other than the color alone)?
>
> Here is an example:
>
>    http://geldenhuys.co.uk/~graemeg/os2_screenshot.png
>

> The only pattern I can see is that "static text" (eg: labels and
> groupbox captions) use the blue text, but Checkboxes, Buttons, Menu
> Items etc use the black text. I still don't understand IBM's reasoning
> behind this though - but would like to know out of curiosity.

I'm on holiday at the moment and thus nowhere close to my OS/2 machine (or
any other PC, in fact). Moreover, I haven't studied the IBM GUI
recommendations, nor analyzed the implementation from this point of view.
Your observation looks correct to me (descriptions in blue and values in
black). However, I'd like to remind you that standard OS/2 dialogues may
be modified using the Font Palette, Color Palette, etc., using drag and
drop, and thus this pattern may change easily - that part may be actually
more important than the default setup if you intend to provide OS/2 native
behaviour to your fpGUI port.

Tomas