> On Jan 8, 2017, at 5:22 PM, Sven Barth <pascaldra...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> 1. Why are you trying to assign something to io when you already did
> that with "obj := …"?

I used absolute here so I could know the type of io and not type cast within
the function. No good? The idea is I want “io” to be assigned with the value
from newObject or set to nil if the input is nil. I know io is a member of
TObject but I don’t want type checking when I return the value from the
function otherwise all my calls look like RetainObject(TObject(foo), newFoo).
It’s a small annoyance but I thought I would take the time to learn Free Pascal
more since it always pays off in the end.

Casting TObject(input) := obj; worked but the value of “io” is still not
getting set. Because it’s a var I expected the value to be returned to the
caller.

Regards,
        Ryan Joseph