:An underlying issue here is why applications decide to set TCP_NODELAY
:options on sockets, rather than just letting Nagle's algorithm do
:the right thing.  I recall some handwaving about this in the X server
:some years ago to make mouse movements "smoother".
:
:For the problem at hand, if both the client and server machines didn't
:do TCP_NODLEAY, then there'd only be one packet smaller than the
:TCP MSS in flight between the transmitter and receiver at any one
:time.  I think that poking OpenSSH to not set the TCP_NODELAY option
:"fixed" this problem.
:
:I was just pondering the TCP implementation in 4.5-PRERELEASE, and
:it doesn't look like there's any explicit delay after a write going
:on, other than Nagle's algorithm, in the TCP packetization code.  So
:setting TCP_NODELAY is almost certain the Wrong Thing for most
:applications to do.  Perhaps there ought to be a warning in the
:man page about being a poor network citizen, flooding the Internet
:with tinygrams and otherwise making the performance of your application
:generally suck.
:
:louie

    Yes, you are correct.  There is no real reason for ssh to set
    TCP_NODELAY on FreeBSD and, in fact, I believe it didn't used to.
    We should just turn it off.

                                        -Matt
                                        Matthew Dillon
                                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>