I am having trouble getting 4.7-RELEASE to use my sound card, a Creative VIBRA 128 PCI. (Known in other regions of the world as a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI, Soundblaster 16 PCI, and Audio PCI 128, according to the manual.)

The card is PnP-compatible (according to the manual), so following the Handbook (§ 16.2.1.1) I added the following to my kernel configuration file:
device pcm
device sbc

However, the system apparently isn't finding the card; during booting there aren't any messages, error or otherwise, concerning pcm or sbc.

During boot I do get:
pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1102, dev=0x8938) at 10.0 irq 12

and pciconf -vl says (in part):
none0@pci0:10:0: class=0x040100 card=0x59381102 chip=0x89381102 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Creative Labs'
device = 'EV1938 Sound'
class = multimedia
subclass = audio

This suggests to me that the system is finding the card (on IRQ 12), but apparently doesn't want to use it.

I have also tried (from the sbc(4) man page):
device sbc0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
with various IRQs and other settings, but also to no success.

I have popped the case to confirm the card is installed correctly, and apparently it worked fine under Windows during testing (so the guy at the computer store tells me).

Has anybody managed to get this kind of card working?

--
Christopher Franks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]