Thomas Linton wrote:
I tried the same thing, but the LED stays on; my laptop IBM TP43 has
dual-boot with WinXP and under WinXP it is possible to safety remove
(turn off) the USB stick.

On my previous laptop IBM TP42 with Fedora Core 1 an eject was able to
Power Off the USB Stick (LED off).

Update from Micah is interresting:

On 5.2/5.3/5.4 I've used umount then camcontrol eject dax.  The light
always turns off for me.

HTH,
Micah

Hi,

I can't remember who posted that and I removed my emails from server.

I try to eject my USB key using cmacontrol and I got this:

# camcontrol devlist
<Corsair Flash Voyager 1.00>         at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (da0,pass0)
# camcontrol eject 1:0:0
Unit stopped successfully, Media ejected
#camcontrol devlist
<Corsair Flash Voyager 1.00>         at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (da0,pass0)

You see, it seems to be successfully stopped but I still have it by asking
the
devlist the moment after.

Don't know how to help more than that, sorry :)

Regards, Ivan.

little P.S: for those who are saying FreeBSD is not ready and the penguin,
and
M$, etc, etc, Mike is right, let's see what we could have with just a
hundredth
of M$ money. If you come to FreeBSD then you may want to discover and search
many new things by yourself. Help the project, give your time, share your
knowledge. I am not a programmer, so I translate the handbook. And from day
day, it will be more accessible.
But I am not sure this is the place for pessimism. Also note that almost all
questions asked here get their solution in less than 24 hours.

--
How you say ? FreeBSD enthousiast, yes :)

Additionally, my USB key's light does NOT turn off when using XP's
"safely remove hardware" feature.  The light only turns off under
FreeBSD's camcontrol eject, Linux's eject, and Windows 98's eject....

A camcontrol devlist does still show the device. The light will not relight even if I do a camcontrol start on the device and remount it.

I've wondered if the eject is strictly necessary. Especially since many of the university's XP computers have restricted accounts that don't allow us to "safely" remove hardware - leaving us students to "unsafely" remove our USB drives.

HTH,
Micah