Are there any secure openssl symmetric encryption routines that
*don't* use a salt?

Is it secure to use a random-but-fixed salt (openssl enc -S salt)?

"man enc" says "This option [-salt] should ALWAYS be used [...]"

Reason I ask: I was using this command to backup files using
compression/encryption:

bzip2 -k -c original | openssl enc -bf -pass file:passfile > encfile

and was surprised that doing this to identical files yielded different
results. I then realized "openssl enc" randomly(?) chooses a salt if
you don't supply one.

I want my backups encrypted, but I also want identical files to
encrypt identically. Thoughts?