Hi,

i prefere use zfsboot boot sector, an example is better than a long talk:

$ zpool create tank mirror ad4 ad6
$ zpool export tank
$ dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ad4 bs=512 count=1
$ dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ad6 bs=512 count=1
$ dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ad4 bs=512 skeep=1  seek=1024
$ dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ad6 bs=512 skeep=1  seek=1024
$ zpool import tank
$ zpool set bootfs=tank tank
$ zfs set mountpoint=legacy tank

add vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:tank" to your loader.conf
now you can boot on ad4 or ad6

Source:
http://www.waishi.jp/~yosimoto/diary/?date=20080909