On Wednesday 16 December 2009 8:47:56 am Robert Noland wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 15:51 -0500, John Baldwin wrote:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I've attatched the requested output. Unfortunately, the patch didn't
> > > result in anything different.
> > >
> > > I/O memory addresses:
> > >     0xdff00000-0xe06fffff (acpi0)
> > >     0xe0700000-0xe0700fff (cbb0)
> > >     0xe0701000-0xf3ffffff (root0)
> >
> > The root0 range is ok (it really means free), but the cbb0 and acpi0 ranges
> > here conflict with the prefetch BAR for the video adapter.  The cbb0 one I
> > think is because that range is free when cbb0 needs to allocate a fresh
> > range
> > of resources.  The real bug is why your BIOS thinks that a system resource
> > is
> > using 0xe0000000-0xe06fffff which conflicts with the nvidia card.  You can
> > try disabling ACPI's system-resource handling (set
> > debug.acpi.disabled="sysres" from the loader).
>
> I'm not sure what is the root issue, but we have seen system resource
> conflicts like this reasonably often with Nvidia graphics.  I've never
> some across this issue with any other display adapter.  But I've had at
> least a handful of reports of noveau not working due to this issue.

This is not specific to Nvidia adapters.  These are just incompetent BIOS
writers.  We should probably trust any BARs set by the BIOS over what is
listed in the ACPI system resources.  This it not super easy to fix now, but
I can see how to handle that as part of the multipass device resource stuff.

--
John Baldwin