On Fri, 30 Dec 2016, Ralf Quint wrote:

> On 12/30/2016 6:57 AM, Steve Nickolas wrote:
>> *I* did it, but that was many years ago.  I do remember the VDM didn't
>> work.
> What I remember (granted, getting old LOL) was that someone had 3.0
> starting but then couldn't do much beyond that. Not aware that anyone
> every got it working (beyond a mere bootup) on 3.1 or Enhancded mode due
> to memory manager issues.

As far as memory management goes, Windows comes with its own himem.sys and
emm386.exe, which should probably be used in lieu of their FreeDOS
counterparts.

>> Actually, IBM had 3 releases of version 5 (5.0, 5.00.1, 5.02) and the
>> first two were essentially identical to Microsoft's 5.0 and 5.0A.
> Well, yes, but those were as you stated just OEM versions from M$, with
> no IBM specifics beyond what any other OEM had, unlike the later
> versions of PC-DOS. Can't see in PC-DOS 5.02 anything different but the
> renamed IBMBIO.COM and IBMDOS.COM either...

The two had been essentially identical since 3.2, though, after MS-DOS was
made more IBM-like in a late revision of 3.1.  (3.3 and 4.0 were
apparently developed by IBM rather than Microsoft; this is certainly
evident on 4.0.)

5.02 actually has one difference from MS-DOS: interlnk, which was
introduced to MS-DOS 6, was present here as well (along with a couple of
the tools, like eject, which didn't show up in MS-DOS at all).

-uso.