Hi,

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Louis Santillan <lpsan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> IIRC, BasicLinux and other UMSDOS Linuxes would not boot/load with
> EMM386 as they would put the CPU into V86 mode.  After such, loadlin,
> et. al., could not recapture control of the CPU and reload the GDT.

I can't remember if DOS-Minix worked with XMS-only or not. But
certainly it would choke on EMM386. (Actually, it also choked on
modern big-RAM machines unless manually corrected.) Then again, that
was old Minix 2.0.4, not sure if that was ever continued working in
3.x series. (Similarly, UMSDOS has been dropped since Linux 2.6.x, or
so I thought.)

Are there any active distros that still come with Loadlin? For those
that don't use GRUB2, what do they use? Grub Legacy, presumably.