Dear Tom.

Thank you for your answer.

Note: I only have German-versions of MS-DOS-kernels v6.22, v7.00 and v7.10 ([J]
key instead [Y])!

>> If I press the [F8] key for singlestepping and then the [ESC] key to skip a
>> command, the
>> singlestepping-process of the FDCONFIG.SYS is skipped.

> I implemented it this way because AFAICT MSDOS 6.2 behaves this way

That's true. I tested it under MS-DOS 6.22 now. (the same in EDR-DOS too!)
Sorry, I didn't tested before. I only use MS-DOS 7.10 (and only for special
things).

But in MS-DOS 7.00 and 7.10 the [ESC] key skips only the current command!
The [A] key skips the singlestepping-process in the config.sys and autoexec.bat.

>> I think to skip the singlestepping-process is a good thing, but its better
>> to do this with
>> another key, like the [SPACE] key.

> better: use the same key that MSDOS uses. what is the MSDOS key for
> that ?

In MS-DOS 6.22 the [ESC] key skips the singlestepping-process in the config.sys
and autoexec.bat.
Only [N] skips the current command in the config.sys and autoexec.bat.
Only [J] enters the current command in the config.sys and autoexec.bat.

In MS-DOS 7.00 and 7.10 the [A] key skips the singlestepping-process in the
config.sys
and autoexec.bat
[N] or [ESC] skips the current command in the config.sys and autoexec.bat.
[J] or [ENTER] enters the current command in the config.sys and autoexec.bat.

In EDR-DOS the [ESC] key skips the singlestepping-process in the config.sys and
autoexec.bat.
[N] or [SPACE] skips the current command in the config.sys and autoexec.bat.
[Y] or [ENTER] enters the current command in the config.sys and autoexec.bat.

Singlestepping (fd)config.sys (FreeDOS-kernel):
[ESC] key skips the singlestepping-process in the (fd)config.sys.
Only [N] skips the current command in the config.sys.
[Y] or [ENTER] enters the current command in the config.sys.

Singlestepping autoexec.bat (FreeCOM):
[N] or [ESC] skips the current command in the autoexec.bat.
[Y] or [ENTER] enters the current command in the autoexec.bat.

>> Under the commando-processor (I use the FreeCOM) the [ESC] key
>> skips only the current command, too.

> that's a completely different thing

I agree.
But please don't let me be misunderstood.
The only thing what I want to say that the FreeDOS-kernel and the
FreeDOS-commando-processor
should use the same keys at the singlestepping-process.

Best regards

Christian Pfaller