See the FreeDOS Spec [0].  OpenWatcom C/C++ (1.9?) (and by extension
WASM/JWASM? for ASM??) and NASM (no version either though many are
based on 0.98.x) are the reference compilers/assemblers/linker.

I was able to able to compile a recent kernel version with the
non-reference compiler Borland C/C++ 4.5.2 (the last Borland C/C++
compiler to support DOS compiling executables).  I had to make minor
changes to the Makefiles to successfully compile the kernel.  See the
mailing list archives for my notes.

[0] http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/FreeDOS_Spec#Programming_tools